It seems like it was just 10 days ago that Apple released iOS 6.1 and here we are getting word that the first beta of iOS 6.1.1 has gone out to developers.
Unlike the iOS 6.1 maintenance update, iOS 6.1.1 seems to targeted at enhancing Apple’s Maps application.
In a note to developers accommodating the release, Apple said iOS 6.1.1 beta 1 includes the following improvements to Maps for Japan:
- Improved pronunciation of roads during turn-by-turn navigation
- Optimized directions to more strongly prefer highways over narrower roads
- Now indicates upcoming toll roads during turn-by-turn navigation
- Added labels for junctions, interchanges, on-ramps, off-ramps, and intersections
- Added indicators for transit station buildings, subway lines, and traffic lights
- Updated freeway color to green
- Updated icons for some location categories including fire stations, hospitals, and post offices Added 3D buildings including Tokyo Station, Japan Imperial Palace, and Tokyo Tower
The iOS 6.1.1 beta is said to work with the iPhone 3GS and later, the iPad 2 and later, and the iPod touch fourth generation and later.
Are the improvements made to maps only?