Palm has released a Windows Mobile 6 upgrade, officially named Treo 750/750v Updater 2.18, for European-based Vodafone Treo 750v smartphones. This English-only update is available for immediate download if you own a Vodafone UK, Netherlands, or Ireland Treo 750v. According the the Palm website, a generic non branded update for the Treo 750 is "coming soon."
What the Update Does
This update installs Windows Mobile 6 Professional on the Treo 750 and installs an update to address loss of system sounds. According to the Palm website, it also includes the following enhancements:
- Improved Calendar management with enhanced User Interface
- Enhanced E-mail messaging, HTML/Smart Filtering, SharePoint access and more
- Voice command via Bluetooth
- USB cable charging
Important Safety Considerations
Before you apply this update, there are some important things you need to know before you start. Ensure that you read and understand the following:
- You can only download this update once. As soon as you download it to your computer, strongly consider burning the download to CD or making a backup copy or two. (You will be prompted to enter your device's serial number to begin the download.)
- There is no way to revert back to Windows Mobile 5.
- If you are using the BlackBerry Connect (BBC) software on your Windows Mobile 5 Treo 750v, DO NOT install this update. Palm's implementation of Windows Mobile 6 does not support BlackBerry Connect.
- This upgrade is only being made available to customers until October 31, 2008.
To install this update, you will need to be running Windows 2000 SP4, Windows XP SP2, or Windows Vista. You will also need Microsoft ActiveSync 4.5 if you are not running Windows Vista. Vista customers will use Windows Mobile Device Manager to synchronize their Treo with the computer.
More Information and Downloads
You can read the full documentation for this update and access the download links from the Palm website.
What About US Treo 750 Customers?
Brighthand is reporting that Treo 750 customers who use AT&T will have to wait until September for the update to become available. No further details were made available.