Sprint and HTC Corporation today announced summer availability of the world's first 3G/4G Android handset, HTC EVO 4G exclusively from Sprint. HTC EVO 4G delivers a multimedia experience at 4G speeds that is second to none, making it possible to download music, pictures, files, or videos in seconds - not minutes - and watch streaming video on the go with one of the largest pinch-to-zoom displays, at 4.3 inches, in the wireless industry.
Sprint 4G offers a faster wireless experience than any other U.S. national wireless carrier, and Sprint is the only national carrier offering wireless 4G service today in 27 markets. Sprint 4G delivers download speeds up to 10 times faster than 3G1,giving HTC EVO 4G the fastest data speeds of any U.S. wireless device available today.
"Sprint continues to lead the 4G revolution as we introduce HTC EVO 4G to give our customers an experience that is unlike anything available in wireless to date," said Dan Hesse, Sprint CEO. "Not only is this feature-rich device incredible on our Sprint 3G network, but Sprint 4G speeds will take mobile multimedia, including live video streaming, gaming and picture downloads, to a whole new level."
"HTC and Sprint have a strong history of working together to bring consumers technologies and advancements that make their lives easier," said Peter Chou, CEO of HTC. "We believe that the HTC EVO 4G represents the best of Sprint and the best of HTC working together to bring an unmatched device to the U.S. This combination of HTC and Sprint innovation will allow people to do even more while on the go, faster than ever on the Sprint 4G network."
HTC Evo 4G Specifications
- 3G/4G capability
- Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ QSD8650 (1GHz) processor
- 4.3” capacitive display with pinch-to-zoom and tactile feedback
- World-class HTML browser
- Android 2.1
- Google mobile services: Google Search, Google Maps, Google Talk, Gmail, YouTube, and syncs with Google Calendar
- Sprint Navigation, with turn-by-turn driving directions and 3D maps
- Updated HTC Sense, which includes Friend Stream to integrate Facebook, Twitter and more
- Visual voicemail
- 4G data speeds (WiMAX) – peak download speeds of more than 10 Mbps
- 3G data speeds (EVDO Rev A.) – peak download speeds of up to 3.1 Mbps
- 8MP autofocus camera with dual LED flash and 1.3MP front-facing camera
- High-quality video streaming and downloads at 3G and 4G data speeds
- Capture and share HD-quality video (720p) from your phone
- Output pictures, slides and videos in HD quality (720p) via HDMI cable (sold separately)
- Live video sharing with Qik
- Built-in kickstand for hands-free viewing
- Media player with 3.5mm stereo headset jack
- FM radio and Amazon MP3 store
- Sprint applications including Sprint TV and NASCAR Sprint Cup Mobile
- Bluetooth 2.1 with A2DP Stereo and EDR
- Built-in WiFi: 802.11 b/g
- Digital compass, G-Sensor, proximity sensor, light sensor, GPS
- Expandable memory: 8GB microSD card included; supports up to 32GB
- Dimensions: 4.8" x 2.6" x .5" (LxWxT)
- Weight: 6 ounces
- Main display: 4.3” WVGA (800x480) 65K colors
- Standard removable 1500mAh Lithium (Li-on) battery
- Memory: 1GB ROM, 512MB RAM
Pricing and Availability
Customers will be able to purchase HTC EVO 4G through all Sprint channels and through national retail partners, RadioShack, Best Buy and Walmart, this summer. Pricing will be announced at a later date. Pre-registration begins today at www.sprint.com/evo.
You can read the full version of today's announcement on the Sprint website.