Interestinly absent from the iOS 4.3 part is the new CDMA Verizon iPhone 4. The Verizon iPhone 4 will not receive an update along side it's GMS counterpart on rival wireless carrier, AT&T.
iOS 4.3 provides some new features, including iTunes Home Sharing (streaming between your Mac or PC and your iOS device), iPhone 4 Personal HotSpot (Mi-Fi like cellular Internet connection sharing), and a new preference to allow iPad owners to chose the function of the slider switch (screen rotation lock or mute switch).
In addtion to the new features, iOS 4.3 also enhances the Safari browser and the AirPlay feature, which requires a second generation AppleTV, first introduced in iOS 4.2. ComputerWorld.com also reports that iOS 4.3 patches some 59 iOS bugs.
iOS 4.3 supports all current model iDevices, include: iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 GMS, iPad, and iPad 2, iPod touch (2009), and iPod touch (2010). There is no world on when iOS 4.3 will be coming to the Verizon iPhone 4 or the second generation AppleTV.
To install iOS on your device, first upgrade iTunes to the latest release, and then connect your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your computer and follow the on screen upgrade prompts.
Apple has released a software update for the second generation AppleTV to bring it to version 4.2. Click the Read More link for details.
AppleInsider.com reports that Apple has updated the second generation AppleTV software version 4.2.
New features of the update, as highlighted by Apple, include:
- MLB.TV: Watch live and on-demand Major League Baseball games, access stats, scores and standings.
- NBA: See scores and more, plus League Pass Broadband subscribers get live and archived games.
- AirPlay for apps: Use AirPlay to wirelessly stream video from apps and Safari on your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Netflix Dolby Digital 5.1: Enjoy Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound when watching Netflix movies and TV shows
- New slideshow themes: View photos with the new Scrapbook, Photo Mobile, and Holiday Mobile slideshow themes.
- Improved on-screen keyboard: Search and enter names and passwords more easily with the redesigned on-screen keyboard.