During my frantic game of "Keep Tapping the Refresh Button In The Updates Application," I finally received my upgrade notice. Reports are also coming in, and I have seen it first hand, that there is some trouble downloading the update from Palm HQ. In the Palm webOSdev Twitter feed, Palm writes:
"we are aware of the problems downloading 1.4.5 for sprint customers. It's being investigated."
As of 1:00am Eastern time, the download issue has been resolved and Sprint Palm Pre and Pixi customers can download and install the new webOS update. If you tried to download the update earlier this evening and couldn't and you still can't, try rebooting your Pre or Pixi. Once I did, I was able to download the update successfully.
It's after midnight here on the East Coast, so I'm sure that by the time we all get out of bed in a few hours, the update will be ready for download and installation during our morning commute. In the mean time, here are the official details on webOS 1.4.5.
Palm webOS 1.4.5 weighs in at 8MB and includes "minor software improvements." Palm has also updated their Palm webOS support site to list the changes in webOS 1.4.5.
Palm webOS 1.4.5 Change Log
Feature changes to existing applications System
- This release includes minor fixes and enhancements to support the public release of the webOS Plug-in Development Kit (PDK).
- This release may require you to update certain apps to their latest version to properly support the launch of the webOS PDK. If you have a game that is not saving your game information correctly (high scores, stages, settings) check the App Catalog for updates. For more information on updating apps, see Using App Catalog
- If a user enters text in a field on certain websites, the screen focus now remains on the text being entered.
- This release fixes a rare problem so that podcasts now download correctly.
- This release addresses several security issues with the Palm webOS software.